No xen rawhide boot images

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Wed Aug 6 21:14:11 UTC 2008

> It's a changed special case more than a new special case for selection,
> yes.  Although it'd be really nice to get rid of PAE vs non-PAE, much
> like we got rid of smp vs non-smp.

The internals to make that possible are significantly more of a pain in the
ass than the SMP case was.  I suspect it won't ever happen.  What will
probably happen is that eventually no non-PAE mode is optimal on non-ancient
hardware, so i686 always being PAE and i586 being non-PAE will be what to do.

> But for _booting_, real hardware can boot and run the i586 kernel.  Xen
> PV guests can *only* boot the PAE kernel.  That's what makes this a new
> and different special case.

Gotcha.