static uids/gids and (not) using fedora-usermgmt

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 23:10:13 UTC 2008

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> 2008/8/7 Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net>:
>> I would strongly recommend against it. IIRC correctly the tool was
>> even banned from EPEL
>
> Thanks for the heads up.
>
>> I think the right way to do this is to see the different needs between
>> the general Fedora space and OLPC: Fedora wants to reserve as few as
>> possible *static* uids/gids (e.g. officially stamped onto every Fedora
>> system) because this resource is rather sparse.
>
> That is ok with me - I was hoping to find a listing of static uids
> without grepping cvs manually, aiming to find a safe gap below 500
> that OLPC could use for its deployments.
>
> As much as possible I want to have static IDs on OLPC XS deployments
> to have max consistency across XSs in the same region. A minor
> package-installation-order difference should not lead to different
> IDs.
>
> Now, that practice will make OLPC packages unacceptable to Fedora
> proper - this is more important to me. However, using fedora-usermgmt
> seemed like a way to satisfy both. If it's blackballed from Fedora,
> then I'm back to square one.

I don't think either fedora-usermgmt or
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/UsersAndGroups are what you
want.  You want a truly static uid/gid rather than a site-specified
mapping.  I think that has traditionally fallen to the owner of the
setup package to decide.  I don't know if we want to change that...
comments anyone?

-Toshio