F10A Blue Knight Rider - KITT are we there yet?

Jerry Williams jwilliam at xmission.com
Sun Aug 10 04:20:53 UTC 2008

The Fedora 10 Alpha reminds me of KITT from Knight Rider only Blue instead
of red.

My problem with it is there is no indication at to how much longer it might
be.

Are we there yet?

I have issues now and then where it just goes back and forth forever.

Alt+F1 nothing, Alt anything nothing.  Just nice Blue bar going back and
forth.

No keys seem to do anything.

Only option is reboot.

I guess Windows Vista does about the same thing only it is Green and wraps
around.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/BetterStartup

Does the blue bar going back and forth really mean that anything is going
on?

I would like something that shows I am doing I/O or that it isn't hung on
something like sendmail and name resolution.

Or that the box is booted and now it is running rc scripts.

Another thing on my wish list is a log of how things started or didn't start
up.  HP does this in /etc/rc.log

Kind of a tee of what goes to the console also goes to a log file, so you
can see if start up scripts have extra garbage or are sending output that
they shouldn't be.

Most of the boxes I deal with the console doesn't get looked at very often.

It would be nice to see how things started up and if there are any issues.

I know this is Alpha and I hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings.

Jerry Williams