%configure assuming in-source-tree builds

Stepan Kasal skasal at redhat.com
Mon Aug 11 10:18:06 UTC 2008

Hello,

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 10:39:49AM -0400, Peter Jones wrote:
>> Michel Salim wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Some upstream developers recommend that their software (thinking of LLVM
>>> and PLT Scheme, but there must be others) *not* be configured and built
>>> at the top-level source directory (typically recommending using build/,
>>> object/ or some such).
>>>
>>> When this is needed, currently the Fedora packager has to revert to
>>> calling the configure script directly, foregoing the %configure macro,
>>> and copying as much of the configure settings by hand. Would it be a
>>> desirable feature to, say, be able to declare
>>>
>>> %define configure_relative_path

> I'd really rather see something like [this] suggestion.

Agreed.  Filed as http://bugzilla.redhat.com/458644

[This is suitable to be submitted upstream, but rpm.org does not have
a bug tracker, it features only lists, and I did not care to
subscribe before cc'ing this mail, so I guess my chanced to get
heared there are low.  They read fedora bugzilla, though.  ;-) ]

Stepan Kasal