vacation page in the wiki

Dmitry Butskoy buc at odusz.so-cdu.ru
Mon Aug 11 12:09:53 UTC 2008

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>>> I really am going to try to make a good stab at maintaining the
>>> packages I'm proposing for Fedora, but as I won't list my
>>> 'Vacations' in public,
>> I don't mean to pester, but I'm curious.  You have an averstion to
>> documenting when you won't be available online, why?
>
> I won't publicly document either when I'm on vacation, so I bite and
> jump into this discussion:
>
> At least here in Germany it sometimes happens that houses or
> apartments from people that put "we'll marry on <day> at <somewhere>
> and have a party in the evening <somewhere else>" announcements into
> newspapers get robbed while they are marrying, partying or while the
> couple is on honeymoon.

+1 for Russia. And I am sure for any country...

> Sure, it's not happening that often, but it definitely happens. Okay,
> I doubt that any robbers check the vacation page in the Fedora wiki
> and say "knurd is on vacation now, so let's go an break into his
> house". But it's possible.

Writing a policy with keeping in mind only one "model of a volunteer" (a
casual student?) is not so good. Perhaps the amount of care of
volunteers should be increased a little, as well as an understanding of
who a volunteer might actually be and what around him.

> The much bigger problem: If I wanted to get a trojan or something bad
> into one of the Fedora packages then I'd try that with a package when
> its owner is on vacation for a while. Chances are way lower then that
> somebody will notice the evil thing quickly.

To cause restrictive ACL for all packages?

~buc