vacation page in the wiki (was: Re: AWOL Maintainer: Krzysztof Kurzawski)

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Mon Aug 11 13:04:46 UTC 2008

RD> Could the "vacation" page be locked down require authenticated
RD> access (ie, no anonymous viewing)?  Would that help?

Probably not; some people just don't want to share that much personal
information.

As far as I'm concerned, the only case we really care about is:

Maintainer is away (or unresponsive for whatever reason)
 + Package has no comaintainers
 + Maintainer doesn't want anyone messing with their packages

This combination is untenable.  Take away one of those and the
situation is fine, or at least not broken.

Now, there is the small issue of the usual toe avoidance most of us
practise; I won't just barge in and start committing without at least
communicating with the maintainer.  That is unfortunately futile if
they're on vacation and haven't informed anyone of the fact.

Do the folks with concerns about giving out vacation information have
issues with simply informing someone privately so that there's at
least one person watching tickets on non-comaintained packages?

 - J<