BrOffice.org in Fedora 10

Igor Pires Soares igorsoares at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 00:55:16 UTC 2008

Em Seg, 2008-08-11 às 14:21 -0800, Jeff Spaleta escreveu:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 1:03 PM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
> > If the problem is only in the user-visible branding, then a better
> > solution would be to split out some parts (like the splash screen, data
> > for the about dialog, etc) in some separate package, and have
> > locale-dependent versions of that.
> >
> > Of course, that doesn't help if the package name itself is a problem...
>
> It's not clear what the actual legal problem is.  But if it goes as
> far as not being able to list the OpenOffice.org packages in our
> repository listings...at all...then holy crap the Brazilian
> Ambassadors have a significant problem.

The differences between BrOffice.org and OpenOffice.org are pretty much
cosmetic but they represent a important legal issue for BrOffice.org in
Brazil. BrOffice.org is recognized not only by the software itself, but
also the organization that represents officially the software. If we
have the possibility to minimize the references to "OpenOffice.org",
thanks to the new brand layer, I think we should do it.

We could fall in the case where the user selects to install Fedora in
pt_BR but he is not in Brazil, so he will get BrOffice.org anyway. This
really will happen, but it is not even near the majority of people.
Probably if the person lives in other country except Brazil he will
choose another language at installation time and after that will choose
the pt_BR langpack in addition, so he won't get BrOffice.org.

AFAIK this problem only happens in Brazil, but it might happen in other
places in the future. I believe this is why the OOo developers have
crated a brand layer.

Regards,
Igor Pires Soares