BrOffice.org in Fedora 10

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 05:14:04 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 5:02 PM, Igor Pires Soares <igorsoares at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is one of my concerns. I'm creating a BrOffice.org LiveCD spin
> which is waiting approval from the spin SIG. It could fit the case, but
> we will still have the same problem with the official DVD Installation
> Media.

Let me state it a little more firmly... we need to know what the
actual legal bar to meet is. If having openoffice.org available at
install time..for anyone in Brazil is a problem..then we'll have to
stop distributing the normal dvd in Brazil... it very well may turn
out that nothing short of that will suffice.

If the language specific hacks to hide OpenOffice.org for just pt_BR
users at install time do not meet the legal requirement...then we
shouldn't waste time with the hacks in comps. It doesn't matter if it
seems reasonable to me or to you  to do language specific changes
because it will work for  "most" people..the trademark law which you
are trying to work around may not see it as reasonable and that is
what matters. Having a technical solution which works for the vast
majority of the people in Brazil...may not be enough. We may need to
find a solution which is guaranteed to meet the legal requirement no
matter how a user in Brazil interacts with the install media.

What does the law in Brazil need us to do?  We must have an
understanding as to what the actual legal bar to meet is and put
resources in place to meet that requirement.  If that means a special
Brazilian install media..which doesn't include openoffice.org branded
binaries at all..then we need to know so we can deal with that. and
not pretend otherwise.

-jef"not hopeful"spaleta