major boost breakage

Alex Lancaster alexl at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Aug 12 10:50:27 UTC 2008

PM> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 03:32:39AM -0700, Alex Lancaster wrote:

>> > boost-1.36.0-0.1.beta1.fc10 --------------------------- * Mon Aug

[...]

>> Created a ton of broken deps (below).  Are we supposed to rebuild
>> everything or is this a packaging error?

PM> Yes, I've bumped a soname.  In general, with boost updates there
PM> is no guarantee of backwards compatibility.

If the list of broken packages is anything to go by this could be a
major deal and we might need to consider a rollback or a compat-boost3
package or somesuch e.g. a fairly major package Miro won't rebuild
(see below) and I'm sure it won't be the only one.

>> If a rebuild is required, I wish people could get into the habit of
>> pre-announcing these kind of soname bumps, especially one's that
>> impact a huge number of packages.  Maintainers need to be aware of
>> the impact that their package might have on other dependent
>> packages...

PM> My mistake, I should have done that.  I'll remember to do it next
PM> time.

It doesn't seem seem like a good idea to update a package that can
cause some major ABI/API breakage only 2 weeks before the Beta freeze,
without evaluating the fallout from potential broken deps.  This
really should have been not only announced, but discussed before doing
the soname bump.

Miro failure:

http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=773495&name=build.log

/builddir/build/BUILD/Miro-1.2.4/portable/libtorrent/include/libtorrent/asio/detail/pipe_select_interrupter.hpp:
In member function 'void
asio::detail::pipe_select_interrupter::interrupt()':
/builddir/build/BUILD/Miro-1.2.4/portable/libtorrent/include/libtorrent/asio/detail/pipe_select_interrupter.hpp:64:
warning: ignoring return value of 'ssize_t write(int, const void*,
size_t)', declared with attribute warn_unused_result
/builddir/build/BUILD/Miro-1.2.4/portable/libtorrent/src/torrent_info.cpp:
In member function 'void
libtorrent::torrent_info::parse_info_section(const
libtorrent::entry&)':
/builddir/build/BUILD/Miro-1.2.4/portable/libtorrent/src/torrent_info.cpp:355:
error: 'struct boost::filesystem::path' has no member named
'has_branch_path'
/builddir/build/BUILD/Miro-1.2.4/portable/libtorrent/src/torrent_info.cpp:
In member function 'void
libtorrent::torrent_info::add_file(boost::filesystem::path,
libtorrent::size_type)':
/builddir/build/BUILD/Miro-1.2.4/portable/libtorrent/src/torrent_info.cpp:559:
error: 'struct boost::filesystem::path' has no member named
'has_branch_path'
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.h6aLpo (%build)