Revert curl change made for flash

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 15:46:09 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 16:59 +0200, drago01 wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Warren Togami <warren at togami.com> wrote:
> > Josh Boyer wrote:
> >>
> >> I'd like to formally request that this curl change be reverted:
> >>
> >> * Mon Aug 11 2008 Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com> 7.18.2-4
> >> - make miniature library for libcurl.so.3
> >>
> >> Due to the fact that it was simply made to accommodate proprietary
> >> software, as described in this blog entry:
> >>
> >> http://wtogami.livejournal.com/27778.html
> >>
> >> There are at least a dozen other proprietary applications that could
> >> "benefit" from making similar changes to other packages, and we
> >> certainly wouldn't make those changes for them.  Flash should be no
> >> different.
> >>
> >> josh
> >>

> > You are proposing removing a zero maintenance 2496 byte file that would
> > permanently break Flash 10 forever in Fedora.
> >
> > They are not violating any licenses like NVidia, and we seriously are not
> > going out of our way to allow it to work.  Extremist views are rarely the
> > most productive.
>
> exactly the change does not break anything and does not make the
> package harder to maintain.
> the only thing it does is make life easier for our user @ ~0 cost....

We've just had a very long IRC conversation on this that I don't care to
rehash entirely, so I'll summarize:

If there are legitimate reasons to have the older soname library in
Fedora, it should be done properly as a compat-curl package.  That is
what I am going to press for in the FESCo meeting tomorrow.

(There is also the possibility to have compat-curl done as a subpackage
of curl.  That might be acceptable but we'll see how the discussion goes
tomorrow.)

josh