Need help making syslog-ng, rsyslog, and sysklogd not conflict

Douglas E. Warner silfreed at silfreed.net
Tue Aug 12 18:06:12 UTC 2008

I've been sitting on an update to syslog-ng for quite awhile now because I
haven't been able to make syslog-ng compatible with simultaneous installations
of rsyslog or sysklogd (RHEL).

The root of the problem is that currently you can't install syslog-ng along
side of either of the other two syslog providers since both packages installs
their own logrotate files that rotate the same log files resulting in double
log rotation.

I've tried updating my syslog-ng package to include the logrotate file of each
of the other packages, but this still conflicts on RHEL-based boxes and when
sysklogd gets an update, syslog-ng gets silently removed (RPM does it without
reporting that it happened or yum saying it will happen).

Any ideas how I can make these packages installable at the same time?

-Doug

Sources: https://rpm.silfreed.net:8002/file/tip/syslog-ng/
Packages: http://www.silfreed.net/download/repo/packages/syslog-ng/
(syslog-ng 2.0.9-3 is the latest)