Interested in Fedora on Smaller Machines?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Aug 12 18:52:33 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 12:50 -0300, jeff wrote:
> Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > Smaller form-factor machines such as the Asus eeePC have gotten a fair
> > bit of the tech press spotlight of late.  Have you bought one with the
> > idea of running Fedora on it?  Or have you thought about doing so?
>
> I've done a few different draft images for the Asus EeePC model 900 that can be
> put on a USB pen drive then booted and optionally installed. I used
> livecd-tools to build them.

My goal is that we should be able to run on the systems with stock
Fedora.  Having to do a special spin limits users who get given cds, etc
at trade shows or the like.

> These are based on BLAG 90k which is based on Fedora 9. The kernel (-libre +
> -rt) supports all hardware on the EeePC 701/900 using *only* free software.
> This includes wifi with the ath5k driver. It is based on -libre and -rt plus
> various other patches.

Luckily, wifi should be in for 2.6.27, although I need to actually try a
newer image on my ar2425 based box.  I'll probably do that when I get
home (since that's where it is)

Jeremy