Interested in Fedora on Smaller Machines?

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue Aug 12 22:25:15 UTC 2008

jeff wrote:

> The Eee 901 and 1000 use a different wifi chip. I haven't seen anything
> support it other than this from ralink:
>
> http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/data/drivers/2008_0708_RT2860_Linux_STA_v1.7.0.0.tar.bz2
>

> There is a small blob in there, but it doesn't appear to actually get
> loaded so  it may not be needed. I haven't heard of any patches for this
> heading upstream yet.

I have a EEEPC 901.  Mostly using it for thin client development where
it is proving to be extremely useful, but it would be nice to get 100%
Fedora running on this in portable mode.

http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=195429
There is some discussion here of some patch to make it build and work on
Fedora.

I hear vague mention that somebody is working on something to get this
chipset supported upstream but I have no idea where or who.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com