Need help making syslog-ng, rsyslog, and sysklogd not conflict

Douglas E. Warner silfreed at silfreed.net
Tue Aug 12 23:39:57 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 12 August 2008 18:59:58 Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> Should these packages even be installable at the same time?

The only thing that conflicts here is the log rotation script.

I've been told that shipping the *exact same* log rotate script as rsyslog or
sysklogd should work as rpm won't care about the duplicate file since it
matches exactly, but there's two problems here:
1) I don't know what "exact" is (file size, md5, timestamp, ??)
2) So far it doesn't work in practice.

So if this is definitely supposed to work I need to figure out how "exact" the
file needs to be.

-Doug