Help! XFCE event sounds in Rawhide -- make it stop!

darrell pfeifer darrellpf at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 15:54:12 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 04:41, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 11:09:49AM +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with Xfce, because Xfce doesn't
> > have sound effects. Have you enabled "Launch Gnome Services on startup"
> > in "Sessions and Startup"? If so, this might come from Gnome and you
> > need to configure it with gnome-sound-properties.
>
> So, yeah, I've tried that, and it gives me an error:
>
>  Unable to start the settings manager 'gnome-settings-daemon'.
>
>  Without the GNOME settings manager running, some preferences may not take
>  effect. This could indicate a problem with Bonobo, or a non-GNOME (e.g.
>  KDE) settings manager may already be active and conflicting with the GNOME
>  settings manager.
>
> However, I am able to make changes there, like disabling "system sounds",
> and the choices I make persist -- and the sounds don't go away no matter
> what I do.

I'm using gnome, but get the same error message with the GL Desktop control
panel. It will turn on compiz but never remembers my settings.

Even though I have the preferences enabled to remember running programs,
nautilus and terminal programs have to be restarted each login.

Most of the other preferences seem ok.

I'm guessing that this is a gnome setting problem of some sort rather than
an Xfce problem.

darrell