AWOL process for Jeff Carlson

Nils Philippsen nils at redhat.com
Thu Aug 14 11:01:59 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 01:10 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 00:42:01 +0200, Till Maas wrote:
>
> > Imho in case there is a renaming of an policy, the cause should be also
> > explained in the page. Non-native speakers may not be able to know the
> > reasons for such a renaming without it beeing documented. For me 'AWOL' did
> > not imply anything negative.
>
> Robin has tried to explain it. The negative thing about it is that its
> commonly used for cases of absence _without permission_. Not just in a
> military context. It's used when somebody ought not be away, and being
> away would be considered a _breach of duty_.

Well, we're not in the military here, but IMO the term AWOL is fitting
insofar as you can grant your own leave rather easily by notifying the
rest of us about it. Not doing so could be considered a "breach of
duty", if you bear in mind that duty here is something different than
duty in uniform.

I don't really care about what term we use to designate non-responsive
maintainers, but it should be "harsh" enough so that people are aware of
the consequences of it.

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase
Red Hat               a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty