disk partitioning for multiOS machine

Ding-Yi Chen dchen at redhat.com
Tue Aug 19 04:17:15 UTC 2008

於 一,2008-08-18 於 18:25 -0400,Lyos Gemini Norezel 提到:
> Ahmed Kamal wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Sorry this might be a bit off topic. I am getting a new laptop, and
> > plan to use fedora as my main OS. I will be installing Windows too for
> > the occasional game. I would also like to install open-solaris and/or
> > MacOSX, just to see what others are up to. Eventually I will also want
> > to run multiple VMs. It would be necessary to share data across those
> > OSs and VMs. I am lost as to how to partition/lvm the 250GB drive for
> > optimal use. Does anyone have a similar setup? any advice ?
> I would partition it as follows:
>
> 5x 20GB partitions for Operating Systems
> 1.) Fedora (to be sub-partitioned into swap, boot, etc.
> 2.) OSX
> 3.) OpenSolaris
> 4.) Windows
> 5.) others?
>
> Then a 100GB Data partition to be shared across all OSes.
> The last 50GB, I would use for compressed VM images.
> I'd do it in that order as well... simply because, on the chance you
> decide to forgo/delete the OSX and/or OpenSolaris partitions... you can
> easily extend the fedora partition into that space without having to
> repartition. The 100GB data partition gives more than enough space in
> which to share all needed data between Operating Systems and I'd suggest
> using Fat32 simply because it's recognizable/mountable/readable on all
> the above mentioned OSes. You can easily forgo the 50GB VM image
> partition and go with a 150GB combined data/VM image partition.

I don't really think you can install 4 or more OSs on a harddrive.
A harddisk can  have either 4 primary partitions or 3 primarys and 1
extended. I suppose the most stable configuration you might get is one
primary for each OS, while extended stores data as Windows can only use
its own primary and the extended.