disk partitioning for multiOS machine

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Aug 19 10:45:18 UTC 2008

On 19.08.2008 12:16, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 12:09:29PM +0200, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
>> I.e., is the plan to make KVM not suck on machines that do not have
>> Vanderpool/Pacifica, or are those simply out of luck with xen gone?
> KVM doesn't work at all unless you have these extensions.  However you
> can still happen to run the /usr/bin/qemu-kvm on these machines - it's
> just that it falls back to using QEMU (ie. pure software)
> virtualization.
> All new Intel & AMD processors support this anyway.

In the server space: Yes

In the desktop space: Nope, a lot of those CPUs with an IMHO good
price/performance ratio don't have Vanderpool/Pacifica right now; even
some of the newest one don't have it.

For example go to
http://compare.intel.com/pcc/default.aspx?familyID=1&culture=en-US
and pick interesting Desktop-Processors like a Pentium Dual Core E2220,
a Core 2 Duo E4700, a Core 2 Duo E7300 and a Core 2 Duo E8600. The
latter two for example are both quite new, but only one of those has
"Intel Virtualization Technology".

CU
knurd