Xen Dom0 support getting dropped?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Aug 19 16:21:00 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 11:56:34AM -0400, David A. Wheeler wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 12:49:53PM +0300, Ahmed Kamal wrote:
> > Too bad eh, my understanding is that Xen dom0 was totally dropped off F10,
> > and redhat is pushing KVM full steam.
>
> "Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones at redhat.com>
> >That's not entirely true. You should look at this page to see what's going on:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XenPvopsDom0
>
> I looked at that page, and that page's text seems pretty clear that
> Xen dom0 _IS_ getting dropped.  Perhaps the page is wrong? I'm concerned;
> I have systems that _depend_ on Xen (specifically) running Dom0, on both
> 32-bit and 64-bit, and thus I already can't upgrade them to F9.
>
> Here's what I read from that page. How can I read this text
> in any way other than "users of Xen dom0 are doomed :-)" ?

s/are doomed/are temporarily doomed/

Basically upstream Xen community is working to get Dom0 re-written using
paravirt_ops. They are starting based on a proof of concept done for i386
Dom0 in the F9 development phase. Realistically 2.6.28 is the earliest
kernel their work is likely to be ready for. So if all goes to plan and
they get Dom0 parvirt_ops  merged, it'll be back in whatever Fedora release
coincides with the kernel they merge in.

In terms of Fedora hosts currently Fedora 8 is theonly one with Dom0 and
obviously that will get end-of-life. So if you want guarenteed sustainable
Xen dom0 today your best best is RHEL-5, or CentOS-5 which will both be
around for years (as per the long RHEL-5 support lifecycle)

Daniel