After running chkconfig... daemon up after install?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 23:01:22 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 12:47 AM, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 17:26 +1200, Martin Langhoff wrote:
>> Is there a canonical procedure for either the %post or the caller of
>> rpm/yum to start any daemons that may have been installed?

> It's explicitly something that you're not supposed to do.

Ok. What should the _sysadmin_ do then?

For the OLPC School Server stuff I'd like to be able to say in the
release notes:

 - Update the installed packages by pulling the metapackage
  $ yum install xs-pkgs
 - Start any newly installed daemons
  $ <command>

The metapackage includes a 'configuration' package that updates all
the configs we can apply automagically, and does chkconfig on those
daemons for the appropriate runlevels. Daemons that do need local
intervention are set to not run.

So I guess I'm lookingfor something like invoking 'init
<desiredrunlevel>' but that checks for any daemons that are down and
starts them if they should be up. init doesn't do anything because we
are _already_ in the appropriate runlevel.

Manpages for service, init, telinit, chkconfig, initctl and friends
don't seem to give any hints. ?

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 7:29 AM, Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> default for daemons, imo, should be off.
>
> That way we're not opening someone up to a problem just by installing
> the pkg.

But that's not actual practice, AFAICS... rpms for the daemons like
bind and apache do chkconfig themselves 'on' in %post. So for daemons
that are popular and ship with a safe default config, Fedora does seem
to enable them.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions