libgnutls-openssl and real openssl conflict

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Aug 26 22:41:27 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 18:30 -0400, David A. Wheeler wrote:
> Any program that links to libgnutls-openssl that has GPL'ed components
> probably CANNOT be legally linked to OpenSSL.

For what it is worth, we consider OpenSSL a system library (aka, a
"major component"), as does the FSF.

>From GPLv2:

  However, as a special exception, the source code distributed need not
include
  anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary form) with the
  major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the operating system on
  which the executable runs, unless that component itself accompanies the
  executable.

Thus, we're not concerned about OpenSSL and GPL incompatibility.

~spot