libgnutls-openssl and real openssl conflict

Bill Crawford billcrawford1970 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 07:54:03 UTC 2008

2008/8/27 Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl>:
> Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
>> For what it is worth, we consider OpenSSL a system library (aka, a
>> "major component"), as does the FSF.
>>
>>> From GPLv2:
>>
>>  However, as a special exception, the source code distributed need not
>> include  anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary
>> form) with the  major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the
>> operating system on  which the executable runs, unless that component itself
>> accompanies the  executable.
>>
>> Thus, we're not concerned about OpenSSL and GPL incompatibility.

> Erm what about the "unless that component itself accompanies the
> executable." part, when we put openssl and a using app together on a CD does
> that not count as "accompanies the executable"? If not that would be great
> then I can fix this (for now) by simply using the real openssl in gkrellm.

Most people consider "accompanies the executable" to mean it is
actually packaged with the application, not separately distributed 'as
part of the operating system' ... I think Tom's explanation is pretty
complete, in fact. If the FSF don't have a problem with it, and if
gnutls' openssl compatability layer has a license that might preclude
its use with a large number of the software packages we distribute,
then I think we should just use openssl until someone produces a
compatible library that can be used with gpl v2 software.