Feature proposal: New, Standard Documentation System

Alphonse Van Assche alcapcom at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 11:27:31 UTC 2008

Michael Cronenworth a écrit :
> <cut>
> 5. Global access
>  You should be able to access any and all documentation for all
> software through a single window, be it X or console, without having
> to open the corresponding program.

6.  a common way to find documentation about a given package. Here is
what I do when I need to read docs on a given package.

1. rpm -ql pgkname
if there is a man page and/or README and/or .html and/or ... - done!
2. yum list pkgname\*
if there is sub-package named pkgname-doc - done!
3. rpm -qi pgkname
if the URL tag point to upstream web site - open firefox find the
documentation page - done!
4. fedora-cvs pkgname - hoping that I know the language used and that
the code is nicely documented ;-) - done!
5. ??

I thing that we can do something to optimize the search of documentation
of a given package. To be honest I don't have any idea on the best way
to do that  - but I'm sure that we can do something better.

Just my two cent.

Regards,
Alphonse