Feature proposal: New, Standard Documentation System

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 13:56:00 UTC 2008

Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 2008-12-01, 01:45 GMT, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
>> Man pages, while informative, are limited. If examples or
>> detailed information are required then you're back to Google
>> searching.
>
> Yes, there are many manpages which are pretty bad. But expanding
> content won't happen by switching to different format, but fixing
> each manpage. Yes, one at the time.

Adding a few examples won't hurt, but man pages are not the place for
conceptual fluff.  We need some other format to hold an overview of why
you should use each program and how various program can be combined to
accomplish different results.  Man pages should just contain a reference
for that program's use, because you won't look there until you already
know why you want to run it.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com