Status of libtool 2.2.X?

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Wed Dec 3 10:46:13 UTC 2008

On Wed December 3 2008, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-12-03 at 11:24 +0100, Till Maas wrote:
> > >
> > > You can call color output a "non-helpful gimmick" (though it really
> > > helps visually separating the lines just saying what is being built
> > > from any error or warning messages), but progress percentages are
> > > definitely useful! Do you not want to know how far your build actually
> > > is?
> >
> > I am only interested to know, when it finished.
>
> The color gimmicks help you better than the lines displaying what the
> tools underneath are doing?

No, but I also see no colors in the build.log file. :-) I do not need any
progress report, because I only care when it is finished.

> Pardon, but this logic escapes me.
>
> >  But this is already taken care
> > of by koji. :-)
>
> As a developer, maintainer and/or packager you normally want to see what
> the tools are doing, e.g. if the compiler has received the correct
> flags, is using the correct libraries etc.

Yes, this is already taken care of in %cmake in rawhide, it makes at least the
compiler flags visible in the make.log. Previously this could be achieved
with VERBOSE=1 in the make invocation. This is also written in the cmake
guidelines btw. If you read my complete mail, you can see that I complained
about the progress percentages, because they fill up the build.log.

Regards,
Till