Runlevels after F10 install

Dennis J. dennisml at conversis.de
Thu Dec 4 00:36:27 UTC 2008

On 12/03/2008 10:18 PM, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-12-03 at 15:37 -0500, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
>>> Is his /etc/event.d/rc5 script not firing?
>> Services such as network and httpd had "off" as their runlevel 5
>> setting.
>
> Yes, they're off by default.  If you just ran 'chkconfig httpd on' when
> you were in runlevel 3, then it only affects runlevel 3.  You have to
> explicitly tell chkconfig if you want it to affect other runlevels.
> This is the way chkconfig has always worked.

That's doesn't seem to be right. I've got httpd set to 'on' for runlevels
2,3,4 and 5. Doing a "chkconfig httpd off" sets *all* runlevels to 'off'
and then doing a "chkconfig httpd on" sets runlevels 2,3,4 and 5 back to
on. It behaves like that both on my Desktop running in runlevel 5 (F10) and
on a server running level 3 (Centos5).

I always believed the 'chkconfig X on' without specifying the runlevels
would turn on the default runlevel specified in the init script because
that's the way it seems to behave.

Regards,
   Dennis