The looming Python 3(000) monster

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Fri Dec 5 14:56:39 UTC 2008

> Well, this:
>
> http://docs.python.org/3.0/library/2to3.html#to3-reference

Here's the problem:

"""
Sometimes 2to3 will find a place in your source code that needs to be
changed, but 2to3 cannot fix automatically. In this case, 2to3 will
print a warning beneath the diff for a file. You should address the
warning in order to have compliant 3.x code.
"""

So it means we can't dual maintain code easily between two
branches/versions.

Something to try out now, for sure, though, I'd think ... so we can
anticipate what may happen.   Though trying this out without having
Python 3.X built versions of all the libraries any given app might need
to complete it's tests yet is going to be slightly fun.

--Michael