The looming Python 3(000) monster

José Matos jamatos at fc.up.pt
Fri Dec 5 15:14:25 UTC 2008

On Friday 05 December 2008 14:51:24 Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 2008-12-05, 14:42 GMT, Michael DeHaan wrote:
> > I personally haven't tried it yet, but it /aims/ to be
> > incompatble, which is perhaps one of the most glaring signs
> > a language designer has lost it that I've seen.
>
> Guido was preparing on this incompatibility for years, so unless
> you were sleeping you should not be surprised.

For more than 9 years and it intends to fix some inconsistencies that had
grown with the language for more than 18 years (python was initially released
in 1989).

The plan was well laid there are plans to ease the upgrade.

If you (Michael) wish we can consider in a sense that python 2 and python are
two different (although closed related) languages.

--
José Abílio