autotools hurts my brain; it's a monster out of control

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Fri Dec 5 18:16:53 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-12-05 at 16:40 +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 11:23:33AM -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > gcc -shared works on windows now, you know.
>
> That's not true.
>
> You also need to generate an implib on Windows, which requires an
> extra Windows-specific gcc option.
>
> Furthermore you would normally want your Windows shared library to be
> called foo-VERSION.dll versus foo.so.VERSION on Linux (and another,
> completely different name on AIX or HP-UX).
>
> You might also want to generate a *.def file on Windows (if you were
> going to use/link with any VC code).

At the risk of another flamewar, Cmake does all this on Windows just
fine, and is its major selling point really. Cmake supports Visual
Studio, which GNU tools will never, ever do. Say what you want about
MSVC, (It sucks.) but if you want to win over the masses of Windows
developers, you have to support it.