The looming Python 3(000) monster

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Fri Dec 5 18:45:41 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-12-05 at 12:40 -0600, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> 2008/12/5 Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com>:
>
> Maybe I am oversimplifying. But what about using 2.6+ (<3.0) and
> ensure that all code is compatible with 3. And still have 3 in
> parallel for those who want it. So we target 2.6+ , but have 3.0 there
> to ensure everything would work with it, and for early adopters/devs
>
> --
> Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
> ( www.pembo13.com )

It would be very hard to write 2.6 code that is completely compatible
with 3.0, because 3.0 has changed many fundamental language constructs,
including even the "print" statement, which in 3.0 is a function (syntax
change).

I am not sure how far the from __future__ import feature will work for
such changes as that.