Logout sound ever gonna be fixed?

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 01:40:16 UTC 2008

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 2:28 AM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-12-06 at 02:12 +0100, Mark wrote:
>

>> Well for the sounds and logout i wouldn't mind it if gnome is not
>> waiting for the sound and just logs out. then a part of the sound
>> might still be playing when your already back at the login screen
>> which doesn't seem to bad to me..
>
> But that is not what is happening. When the session ends, PA stops the
> sound.

Then that's a design decision that gets a nasty tail.
Is it possible to leave pulseaudio  out of it and use alsa directly
assuming that is not being stopped when you logout..
or wait let me guess.. canberra can't switch between alsa and pulseaudio...

>> But for the "logout actions" ... where in all of gnome are those
>> defined anyway? and what are those gsm_logout_supports_* functions in
>> gsm-logout-dialog.c?? i thought those for logout handling ^_^
>
> There is no place where logout actions are defined. They were an idea
> that came up to handle logout sound, more or less. Maybe this is all
> over the top, and gnome-session should just play the login/logout
> sounds. Dunno.

There are probably 2 ways to go here:
easy : add those sounds directly in gnome-session
hard : make those logout actions and let them (where ever that might
be) play them.. having those events could end up handy for other
applications..? don't know a case really.