The looming Python 3(000) monster

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Sun Dec 7 07:08:34 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-12-06 at 18:30 -0500, Michael DeHaan wrote:

> Not defined in older versions of python however, hence the need to
> branch code, hence a problem with EPEL supporting code.

 True, 2.5.x and earlier won't be compatible. Which means that
RHEL-5/CentOS-5 python won't be compatible with any code that uses this
feature of py3k and/or 2.6.x (via. the from future import).

 This is _far_ from unprecedented though, lack of decorators and/or
yield alone makes the python in RHEL-4/CentOS-4 incompatible for any
modern development. And I've had to upgrade boxes because of this, and
told a lot of people "Yeh, any recent yum just isn't going to work
there ... sucks".
 This wasn't the end of the world then, and didn't mean we wanted/needed
to hold python back in Fedora. I don't see anything materially different
now.

--
James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org>
Fedora