use fcron as default scheduler in Fedora?

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Dec 8 21:10:13 UTC 2008

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Patrice Dumas wrote:
>> If there is none, it uses /bin/vi. In fact I have sone a bit of
>> investigations and it uses, in pathnames.h _PATH_VI which is defined in
>> /usr/invlude/paths.h.
>>
>> So it is a missing dependency, in my opinion.
>
> No it's not. People may want to use an actually usable editor and not have
> their system polluted with this relict of history.

I use, exclusively, kate-based editors (usually kwrite, but also Kate
and KDevelop), and... <drumroll please> vim. Granted I just went and dug
up vim-enhanced last night (not installed by the KDE spin by default,
bleh), but I object to the classification of /bin/vi as a "relic of
history" and not "an actually usable editor". (vim-minimal is perfect
for most editing of things in /etc, thank you very much! Including
crontabs...)

> I guess I should file bugs against cvs, sudo and fcron which all have
> unnecessary Requires on vim-minimal.

I'd consider a system with no 'vi' to be broken :-). /bin/vi seems to be
the lowest common denominator for a TUI editor on *nix systems.

Obviously, /bin/vi isn't necessarily Bram Moolenaar's VIM, but it's
always close enough to be more-or-less usable (where the "more-or-less"
almost invariably relates to how well it handles the arrow keys).

--
Matthew
"Do you do windows as well?"