What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Dec 9 07:42:02 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 07:42 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le lundi 08 décembre 2008 à 20:04 -0800, Jesse Keating a écrit :
> > On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 04:55 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > > push alone takes about 24 hours.
> >
> > Not quite that long.  It's somewhere on the order of 6~ hours to
> > complete.  What I claimed is that with this kind of turn around, i
> > wouldn't expect there to be any more than one push per 24 hours, mostly
> > because I have to sleep at some point, and mirrors have to have time to
> > sync up before we flood them with more changes.
> >
> > The rate of change in our updates repos is highly disturbing.  new
> > packages + tonnes of updates == huge amount of churn to consume.
>
> That's what you get when you let people claim "the Fedora way is to push
> everything to every branches at once"

Though there is some truth in what you say, wrt. new packages, IMO, not
doing so would contradict the purposes of Fedora.

However, I feel there is are other factors, which esp. show in
time-frames like the current one (shortly after a release):
- Maintainers are working off the back-logs the release freezes have
caused.
- Maintainers are fixing bugs, which managed to make it into
Fedora-10-final and now are hitting users.

Ralf