Feature proposal: New, Standard Documentation System

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Dec 9 10:42:29 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 12:53:34PM +0200, Basil Mohamed Gohar wrote:

> Should I present this idea to the docs project, pending the agreement of
> most, if not all, those involved in this discussion?  I'm mulling the
> idea of even heading it, if no one else is more appropriate for the
> task...

That is definitely the right attitude, thanks.  "Better man pages" was
on the list of Red Hat's various technical writing teams since
... 1999?  The problem is resources -- it is a huge task for a small
group of people to wade through.

As Rahul pointed out, mitwi is an example of working to make man pages
accessible from a documentation site without manual intervention.  It
came from a goal of putting a simpler (wiki) interface in front of man
pages, with automagic conversion behind the scenes.

But even with the easiest tools we can muster, it is still a giant cat
herding effort to get packagers behind man page improvements.  What is
needed is that can-do attitude, followed by the actual doing, of
course. :)

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41