FAmSCo elections only open to ambassadors?

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Dec 9 11:06:06 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 04:47:32PM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Today I went to do my duty and vote, and much to my surprise I could not
> vote for the FAmSCo election. Now that is probably something which has
> been discussed before and I just missed, but still let me express my
> surprise about this.
>
> How is it that anyone which is member of any group in Fedora including
> translators and ambassadors get to vote for FesCo, which is effectively
> the developers steering committee now a days. Yet only ambassadors get to
> vote who gets on FAmSCo ??

Actually, FESCo has a *much* wider mandate:

* Sets the entire technical direction for the distro
* Oversees all technical SIGs
* Runs the feature process
* And much more

In fact, it _used_ to be that only a small group of people had the
rights to vote for FESCo.  Some of us argued successfully against that
because of the wide influence that FESCo has over all contributors.
The FESCo election was then opened to anyone with fedora_cla *and*
membership in one other group, iirc.

This overarching influence and control for the entire project is
simply not the case with the small sub-projects -- L10n, Docs,
Marketing, Ambassadors, and so on.

I don't see any real problem with the smaller groups having that level
of autonomy to decide solely within their group who their leaders are.

If you want to vote for that leadership, it is simply required that
you spend some time as a member of that group.  All of us who are not
"developers" are greatly, greatly affected by FESCo decisions.  The
smaller sub-project steering committees have no where near the affect
that FESCo has.

Should any smaller group's influence grow to be enough that it does
affect everyone, it would make sense to widen the voting to include
other groups.  For example, considering how much hassle we in Docs
cause L10n each release, I would be in favor of including translators
as voters in future Docs steering committee elections.  But I wouldn't
expect the reverse, for the same reasons as above.

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41