Fedora QA ? - Re: What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 11:25:54 UTC 2008

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 11:02:30 +0100, Patrice wrote:

> > Fedora has a serious problem with updates that are pushed out to "stable"
> > directly. Originally we've had a guideline to use updates-testing for
> > a few days.
>
> Sometime it is better to push directly to stable, when the package is
> already broken, when it is a security fix,

... and if you find out that dependencies are broken because of a rushed
update, you need to wait a day before the problem can be corrected with
the next time-consuming push. It's better to prevent issues like that. We
currently can check remote repositories. Contrary to the FUD spread by
some people, plain repoclosure doesn't run for hours. For stuff released
into the "stable" repo it would be too late, however.

> or for packages with few users.

... which have even less reason to be pushed to "stable" quickly rather
than spending a few days in updates-testing first. :) Even such packages
can cause chaos and disturb SONAME Provides, for example. Recently, we've
had a case where an update accidentally obsoleted packages in a different
namespace. Or watch this one: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/473182

I know you'd like to be able to push to repositories immediately
without any release management, but for Fedora's users that would be
one step closer to the infamous dumping ground of packages.