F11: OSS and pulseaudio conflict

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Wed Dec 10 07:24:54 UTC 2008

Bill Nottingham wrote:
>>> Assuming cuse OSS proxy is ready for F11, and it works reasonably well
>>> as a complete replacement for ALSA's OSS compat layer, we would do the
>>> following:
>> <snip>
>>
>> I don't see this happening for F11, so I'll comment on the fallback
>> strategy.
>
> FYI, one thing pointed out elsewhere about this strategy is that any
> remaining OSS apps that use mmap() likely won't work with CUSE. Of
> course, they wouldn't work with padsp either.
>
> Bill

If this is the case, then the fallback strategy is really the only
doable strategy for OSS support.  None of the other options can offer
legacy support that some proprietary software customers will whine for.

The fallback strategy has the benefit of not effecting any Fedora/RHEL
user by default, so is there any drawback in doing it?  OSS would simply
NOT WORK by default which is absolutely fine.

OTOH, what are concrete examples of OSS apps that use mmap()?

Warren