The looming Python 3(000) monster

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 18:59:54 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>>
>>> Well, most of the active members of the Python SIG have chimed in on
>>> this, and we're all channeling Frankie.
>>>
>>> Now, I do believe this is an important subject and we do need to gauge
>>> the impact Python 3000 has on Fedora, but I believe that we are grossly
>>> unequipped to do so at this time. I'd like to revisit this topic in
>>> about a year (perhaps sooner, depending on circumstances), but for now
>>> everyone just relax.
>>

>> Just to  be clear, does that mean no Python 3.0 in parallel either?
>
> How do you expect people to modify and test their own code without a
> parallel install?

As stated multiple times, the initial port will be to python-2.6+ with
python-3 features turned on.  Then we'll see where we're at.

It's possible that the remaining porting work will be small at that
point and we can migrate easily.  It's also possible that it's still a
major undertaking to go from py-2.6 w/ python-3 features to py3.  But we
won't know until code starts being ported so there's no use trying to
guess what we need to do now.

-Toshio