What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Stefan Held obi at unixkiste.org
Wed Dec 10 20:36:30 UTC 2008

Am Mittwoch, den 10.12.2008, 14:29 -0600 schrieb Les Mikesell:

> I'm not sure how practical that would be unless you could still mount
> and access the updated version after reverting.  Suppose you've done
> several days work before you trip over the showstopper bug that makes
> you want to revert.  Or the update makes format changes that aren't
> backwards compatible in files on other partitions?

This is more than practical :)

To be honest, the solaris guys are doing this recently. Take a snapshot,
apply the updates. If something is wrong you can move backwards and
forwards in the snapshots for the root partition.

> I'd go for an option to install a spare matching partition for the
> system and have updates always rsync the previous to it before changing
> anything (both partitions always mounted, no lvm magic) but even that
> doesn't cover everything that can go wrong.

This solution would be best with splitting /home into a own lvm
partition. I never heard of a system update breaking something serios
in /home :)

Your solution would use to much space in my opinion.

--

Stefan Held                    VI has only 2 Modes:
obi unixkiste org              The first one is for beeping all the time,