What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Dec 11 05:45:01 UTC 2008

Bradley Baetz wrote:
> A lot of them were zero-day 'new package didn't make the freeze so chuck
> it in ASAP' updates. Again, you can argue that new packages don't break
> anything, but it comes back to the 'what is fedora's goal' discussion
> that happens whenever this discussion happens....

But why do you want to ban something which doesn't hurt?

What will happen with your proposed ban is that many users will
use --enablerepo=rawhide to get the packages they need and break their
systems that way (one should NEVER use --enablerepo=rawhide except to
upgrade the ENTIRE system to Rawhide (yum --enablerepo=rawhide upgrade),
and that carries the usual Rawhide risks). It is not possible to just
install an arbitrary package from Rawhide because that will in many cases
depend on other packages from Rawhide (right now it's Python 2.6, sometimes
it's a new OpenSSL, OpenLDAP or whatever core library), and upgrading those
in turn also forces the upgrade of everything else depending on those (e.g.
if the upgrade drags in Python 2.6, it will also drag in all the other
Python stuff including yum!).

You can't tell users to just wait for the next release, in many cases they
can't or don't want to wait.

        Kevin Kofler