What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 08:12:59 UTC 2008

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> And yet, you suggest the only alternative to the too-fast push is to
>> switch to RHEL or Centos.  What's that do to your worst case if you
>> think 6 months is too long?
>
> You have to decide: do you want updates or do you not want them?

I would want them if I had some reason to believe they wouldn't break my
machine.  But I have my reasons to not believe that.

> If you
> don't want to wait for the next CentOS release, then obviously you need the
> update quickly, so you are in Fedora's target base. But then you can't
> complain that you get updates too quickly!

I'd still complain when it breaks.

 > You can't have both ways.

Why not?  Most of the time it isn't broken.  Why isn't there a way to
avoid the times when it is on the machines where you care?

> (You're one of those users with contradictory requirements I mentioned
> elsewhere in this thread.)

I think most people would prefer that certain machines never break - and
many would be willing to test on a less critical machine if exactly what
they tested would later be reproduced on their more important machines,
but with random rolling updates it doesn't work.

--
   Les Mikeell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com