What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 17:45:47 UTC 2008

Till Maas wrote:

>>> Because if you need the bugfix or the new feature now, any wait is too
>>> long.
>> Why is waiting for a new feature for 3 months too long? Excluding
>> support for new hardware, if you want a bleeding edge feature run rawhide.
>
> For me it would render my Fedora involvment in many cases useless, e.g. why
> should I push a new package into Fedora, if I have to create my own repo
> anyways to use it?

As has been mentioned before, a totally new package has little risk.
The problem comes when you push an update that breaks existing
usability.  Since there is no policy or mechanism to prevent that, every
user is forced to create their own repo and run a test machine to have
any chance of avoiding them - or just not use fedora at all.

> Also if I get upstream to include a feature I need into an
> application I want to use, then I want to use it asap. Otherwise I would
> probably not spend much time on writing a patch or convincing upstream.

Anyone who _wants_ todays bugs from upstream can always grab their
tarball and build it under /usr/local/ with the big advantage of having
a way back when they find it doesn't quite work.

> Also running rawhide is not an option, because it is way more broken than
> Fedora stable, where it seems to me the majority of updates do not break
> stuff.

Majority?  It only takes one broken update to wreck your machine.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com