What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 18:32:12 UTC 2008

2008/12/11 Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>:
> On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 08:38 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> You have to decide: do you want updates or do you not want them? If you
>> don't want to wait for the next CentOS release, then obviously you need the
>> update quickly, so you are in Fedora's target base. But then you can't
>> complain that you get updates too quickly! You can't have both ways.
>> (You're one of those users with contradictory requirements I mentioned
>> elsewhere in this thread.)
>
> Updates != upgrades.
>
> I think frequent updates to given package set to fix bugs is great.
> Frequent upgrades to a package set for new upstream features, behavior,
> bugs, incompatibilities is not so great.
>
> With the 6 month cycle of Fedora, and our willingness to break things
> like crazy in the rawhide world, we're still a very very fast distro and
> unique in the distro space for early adoption of software.  This all
> comes /without/ even considering what we do for updates to our releases.
> Even if our releases only got bugfixes, we're still uniquely agile to
> new software and technologies and very fast to new releases using those
> things.

6 months is a pretty long time to wait for a major release. I
understand the rationale, but if this is going to be the new Fedora,
best announce this and let  everyone know so that they can reevaluate
if Fedora is for them. As things are, I feel that we are being _too_
conservative. Any further move to more conservatism seriously affects
Fedora's usefulness to me.

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )