What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 21:12:02 UTC 2008

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 11:32 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> More to the point, how can I expect this to work after the thing I want goes
>> away in the repository, replaced by a mistaken push of something broken?  I
>> think it is unreasonable to assume that such mistakes will never happen.
>>  What's the plan to avoid/recover from this?
>
> You keep mixing up different questions. There are different questions
>
> 1) How do you know its broken?
> ... still waiting for you to even explain how you know something is
> broken before you install it.

That wasn't a question.  I'll figure out how to test for brokenness
after you tell me how to reproduce exact tested, non-broken states. Or
maybe I'll watch the mail list for subjects like 'sucking' or "dbus
disaster" before doing any updates.

> 2) Once you know its broken how prevent it from going on to a client system
> .... yum's configuration options work just fine for that.

No, I have to know a lot more than "it's broken" to do anything with a
yum configurations.  What I'd rather do is find an "it works", tested
set and duplicate that and only that.

> 3) If you found out its broken after you installed it on a client
> system how do you revert to a previous update?
> ... you keep a local cache of previously installed updates. yum lets
> you keep a local cache..per client. The caching is off by default but
> it can be turned on.

Is that really the plan you expect users to follow?  Has anyone even
tried that to see if it works in the general case?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com