Installing from Live CD is the new black?

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 08:28:27 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 6:24 PM, Linus Walleij <triad at df.lth.se> wrote:
> Is it just me or doesn't everybody make their installs off the Live CD
> these days?

LiveCD installs are almost too easy.

the livecd iso to usb util which works on both Windows and Linux is
just so sweet that I could barely contain myself when I first tried
it. All I wanted from it was an option to format all the unused space
as ntfs/fat32/ext3 and/or a bigger overlay (bigger that ~2000MB)

The DVDs are a waste of space and bandwidth if you're going to
download it anyway. If you're going to mail or share it, that's
another thing. Otherwise, you save bandwidth in just dloading the Live
and installing the latest packages. Otherwise you dload the dvd, and
then still have to redownload most of the (big) packages due to
updates.

I also look forward to LiveDVD spins, sucks not to have vim, screen
and svn on the live image. But having KRDC on the image was brilliant
however.

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )