Making updates-testing more useful

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Dec 12 16:14:41 UTC 2008

On 12.12.2008 16:00, Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> Another good question (related to the "will this confuse new users" part):
>> Will you enable the updates-testing repos from 3rd party repos in the same
>> step automatically? Otherwise people that use those repos will now and then
>> run into dependency troubles -- for example when a new xine-lib enters
>> updates-testing from Fedora and xine-lib-extras-nonfree enters
>> updates-testing from RPM Fusion at the same time.
>>
>> But well, likely it doesn't matter to much anyway, as yum is still pretty
>> broken in such situations anyway, as mirror lags will confuse it:
>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-August/msg00041.html
>
> Yes, that's right yum is broken b/c the mirrors are out of sync.
 >
> Just like Apache is broken when a 404 is issued. It must be apache's fault
> that the data is missing or broken.

I don't think the Apache example really flies, but whatever, not worth
arguing. I just want the problem fixed :-)

> Cmon, Thorsten, your command of english is excellent, you can phrase that
> a bit better.

Hehe, actually I had written the word "broken", then deleted it, and
then (after a few seconds) wrote it again. Mainly for one reason(¹):
users often use it when they run into troubles outlined in
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-August/msg00041.html

It depends a bit for what they use it -- sometimes it's Fedora that is
"broken", sometimes RPM Fusion/Livna, sometimes yum or sometimes
PackageKit. We all don't want that afaics; it's really bad for Fedoras
reputation.

So we should try to get it fixed; yum *afaics* is the best place, as the
data is there in the repos (at least if RPM Fusion pushes all the bits
at the same time; that works often, but now always), yum just has to
look at the right places *or* ignore those problems for some time *or*
<your suggestion here>.

What would you suggest to fix the problem at hand?

Cu
knurd

(¹) maybe I also a tiny little bit hoped it would help to get your
attention (sorry for that) so we can finally work out a solution (with
or without yum) to solve the problem once and for all