A way out of the update trap

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 18:44:28 UTC 2008

How about this. Instead of trying to craft a policy right now which
applies equally to all parts of the distribution.
Let's narrowly define a prioritized list of functionality which we
think is critical and deserves to be a priority when doing update QA.

Here's my short list
1) Packaging Updating at the console (rpm and yum)
2) Package Updating in the desktop (PK and friends)
3) python-matplotlib
4) xeyes

Your list with most likely be different than mine.  But can we get
project wide consensus as to the top 2 are really really important to
keep working for 'most' people? Everything else aside.. all the good
and bad ideas about how to do a top to bottom restructuring of updates
generation project wide off the table for a few seconds. Can we agree
that 1 and 2 are critical functionality which deserves extra
precautionary effort to reduce the risk of falling over and dying for
users compared to other functionality? Maybe more important than
security? If an update goes out which could impact rpm,yum,PK and
friends can we make it a policy that those updates require a specific
level of testing, even if it means holding up a security tagged update
until basic functionality of rpm,yum,PK is confirmed?

This is a risk management argument I am making.

-jef"is really thinking about adapting all the Integrated Safety
Management training that was beaten into him while at PPPL and
re-applying it to Fedora packaging"spaleta