Perseus Digital Library?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Dec 12 23:18:31 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 06:12:32PM -0500, Jonathan Robie wrote:
> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 03:53:11PM -0500, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone have plans to create a Fedora RPM for the Perseus Digital
>>>  Library?
>>>
>>> http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/opensource
>>>
>>> I'm not quite ready to commit to creating one, but I'm definitely
>>> playing with the idea. I'd have to figure out roughly how much of my
>>> free time would be needed first.
>>>

>> Incidentally, isn't the non-commercial license incompatible with
>> Fedora?
>
> If it is, that would answer the question ....
>
>> And more to the point, aren't these texts unquestionably
>> public domain (the ancient Greeks never had such a concept as
>> copyright, and the collections date from 300-2500 years old) ...
>>

> Probably not "unquestionably", people use textual criticism to assemble
> a text, one edition of a given Greek work looks a little different from
> another. People who create critical texts have typically copyrighted
> them.
>
> But I'm not sure what issue you are pointing at here. Educate me!

Well, I'm just looking at the URL you posted before:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/opensource

<quote>
  Texts are licensed under the Creative Commons NonCommercial
  ShareAlike 3.0 license
</quote>

BTW, I can probably help here, coz I read classical Greek & Latin
moderately well, and it'd be great to have truly free texts in Fedora.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v