What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Robert Scheck robert at fedoraproject.org
Sun Dec 14 18:22:04 UTC 2008

Hello Till,

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, Till Maas wrote:
> I agree here. I already mentioned some methods in another e-mail. Another
> possibility I just thought of would be to create reverse delta rpms, i.e.
> before an rpm is installed, a delta to the current state is created and stored
> somewhere. This can then used to restore the previous state. Of course someone
> needs to write this. :-)

Shrug. Who will be the lucky guy doing this? IMHO delta rpms are making the
handling of packages just more complicated, even they e.g. save traffic.
Oh, did already implement somebody the downgrading once the last update
using a delta rpm was broken? That's a thing, e.g. openSUSE is AFAIK now
lacking for years and nobody took care there, even they're using delta rpms
also for years now there. In fact, I wasn't seeing a working downgrade at a
bigger Linux distribution until now once delta rpms have been in use there.

Greetings,
  Robert